Summer is here which means it’s grilling time!
This recipe came about at the end of the week when I had very little food and ingredients in the fridge. You know that feeling when you are scrounging items in the fridge hoping they will taste good together? Thankfully this recipe turned out delicious so I figured I would share!
These burgers are beyond basic because you just throw all ingredients in a blender or food processor, pulse for a minute of so to get everything mixed and then you can shape and throw them on the grill or in the oven! Both ways taste delicious and get crispy on the outside.
Base Ingredients | lettuce wrap or whole wheat bun
Toppings | red onion, tomatoes, relish, ketchup, mustard (choose dressings with minimal processed ingredients)
Pair with on the side | salad, curly fries (as shown in photos), regular sweet potato fries
Other Ideas | these burgers are a great source of protein so they can replace chicken/tofu in a salad
- 1 cup Quinoa, dry
- 2 cups Water
- ⅓ cup Roasted Garlic Hummus
- 2 tbsp Quinoa Flakes
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Pinch of salt
- Red Onion
- Sliced Pickles
- Mustard (optional)
- Ketchup (optional)
- Begin by cooking the quinoa by adding quinoa and water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil then down to a simmer and cover for about 15-20 minutes.
- Once the quinoa is done cooking, add cooked quinoa, hummus, quinoa flakes, Italian seasoning and salt to a blender.
- On low, blend all ingredients until everything is well combined. With my Vitamix, I blended it on low for about 1 minute while using the tamper to push the quinoa down. You can also use a spoon.
- Once it is blended, grab about 2-3 tbsp of the mixture and roll it into a ball then flatten it a bit and compress the sides to make a burger form.
- Repeat until all burgers are formed.
- Grill burgers for about 5 minutes - just enough to warm them up and get crispy on top.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place quinoa burgers on baking sheet.
- Place in oven for 10 minutes then flip and place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- Putting it all together
- Remove burgers from grill or oven and top with your toppings of choice or add to your favourite salad!
Thanks for reading!