This recipe is loaded with summer produce! Zucchini, corn, tomatoes and more!
I love making this dish for dinner because it is so colourful, filling and super nutritious. The main on this dish is the sweet potato boat filled with chickpeas and veggies. This in itself can be a complete meal however I normally add a side such as roasted cauliflower or side salad.
Sweet potatoes get their vibrant colour from the pigment, beta-carotene. Beta-carotene gets converted to Vitamin A in the body, and just like carrots, sweet potatoes are very rich in Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes are also a great source of fibre and many other vitamins and minerals.
Pairing the sweet potato with vegetables and chickpeas completes this meal by adding protein and healthy fats to the dish.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cauliflower head, cut into ¼ pieces (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, chopped
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 (540mL) can of chickpeas
- 1 cup vegetable/chicken broth
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano leaves
- 1 tsp salt
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice sweet potatoes in half and lightly coat with olive oil.
- Drizzle cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of cumin and salt.
- Place sweet potatoes and cauliflower on baking sheet for 20 mins.
- After 20 minutes flip over cauliflower and place back in oven for 25 mins.
- Chickpea & Veggie filling
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Once saucepan is warm, add garlic and onion, then sauté for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked, lightly scoop out a small amount of the sweet potato (to make it look like a boat). Mash the scooped sweet potato into the chickpea/veggie mixture so that it doesn't go to waste!
- Top sweet potato boat with chickpea/veggie mixture.
- Add cauliflower to plate along with a side salad (optional).
- Garnish with avocado, cilantro and lime wedges!
What’s your favourite summer vegetable?
Thanks for reading!
If you enjoyed any of my photos feel free to pin them to Pinterest!