Hello everyone! Hope you’re all keeping warm! Today I wanted to share the importance of drinking water and some of my top tips to help you drink more of it! It can be hard to get in enough water during the day, especially during the colder months so hopefully these tips will encourage you to drink more water!
IMPORTANCE OF WATER
We all know that we need water to survive and that drinking water helps us stay hydrated, but drinking enough water in a day can be a challenge. Everyone requires a different amount depending on height, weight, exercise intensity and types of food consumed throughout the day. A very general guideline is 8 cups per day (2 liters).
WHY IS WATER SO IMPORTANT?
Not only does water help keep us hydrated but it also helps digestion by moving foods along the digestive tract. It helps keep our body temperature at equilibrium and cushions our joints and organs.
TIPS FOR DRINKING MORE WATER
• Get a reusable water bottle, fill it with ice and cold water, and bring it with you wherever you go. Try and keep track of how many times you fill it up. A lot of reusable water bottles have the amount of milliliters on the side of the bottle so you can easily keep track.
• Set a goal. For example, try to drink 1L of water before noon. If you know this would be too much to start, set a small goal and work your way up.
• Start the morning off by drinking water. It’s super refreshing in the morning and helps with digestion.
• Thirst is a sign of dehydration so continuously drinking water throughout the day helps prevent thirst. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water.
• Drink water before eating a meal.
If you get bored or tired by the taste of water try infusing it with fruits, vegetables, herbs, or spices. I did a whole post on my favorite infused water combinations here. You can also simply infuse water with a slice of lemon or cucumber.
DRINKING WATER FOR WEIGHT LOSS
If you are struggling with your weight and not feeling very motivated to change, there are some simple things you can do that involve drinking more water.
• Try to replace most of your fluids with water. Instead of drinking juice, sodas, diet drinks, etc., replace it all with water. Depending on how much fluid you drink (other than water) this could help eliminate 500-plus calories from your daily routine.
• Drink cold water. The body actually burns more calories when you drink cold water (compared to room temperature water) because of the temperature difference between the cold water and your body temp. It’s not a lot of calories but every bit counts! Plus cold water is very refreshing!
Thanks for reading! Got any other tips for staying hydrated? Leave me a comment below!
Get weekly healthy recipe post sent to your inbox & a FREE resource guide on How to Eat Healthy on a Budget! Sign up today!